Thursday, December 10, 2009

Chicken Pot Pie

Before I get to the recipe I just want to say something.  I got on the scales this morning and I am down 32 pounds now!!  WOW!!  I have lost 32 pounds in 4 months!!  If you would have told me 6 months ago that I would be cutting out practically all sugar, as much fat as possible, using ground turkey instead of ground meat, using whole wheat flour, eating whole wheat and high fiber bread, etc…I would have told you were crazy!!!  I have never been real health nut when it comes to food…but I am quickly changing my mind!  I used to think healthy food had no flavor but I was so wrong!!

Not only am I losing weight I feel better than I have in a long time!!  Now all I need to do is add some exercise to this living and I will really be doing well!

I am not on a diet – I have made a LIFEFSTYLE CHANGE!  This is the way I plan on eating from now on!!  I refuse to yo-yo with my weight the rest of my life.  I am determined to keep this weight off!

I hope I didn’t bore you with that story…now to a yummy recipe!!

I love chicken pot pie!!  It is one of my all time favorite comfort foods!!  I decided to give hungry girl’s recipe a try…it is actually very close to the recipe that I have always done.    I made a slight change to the recipe but you still get 1 serving for about 230 calories, 7 grams of fat, and 2 1/2 grams of fiber (that is 4.7 ww points people!!).

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 lb (8 oz.) raw boneless skinless chicken breast; cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 3 cups frozen mixed vegetables
  • 1 can (10.75 oz.) Campbell's Condensed Soup, 98% Fat Free Cream of Celery
  • 4 servings  (1/2 can) Pillsbury Reduced Fat Crescent Rolls (unprepared)
  • season salt (optional)

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Saute chicken pieces for several minutes in a pan spritzed with nonstick cooking spray, until chicken is light brown/cooked but still tender; set aside.
  2. Heat frozen veggies in microwave (I place mine in a covered dish with a couple of tbsp of water).
  3. Mix chicken, vegetables and soup together and put in a 9" pie plate sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. (I added a few dashes of season salt to the mixture…I think it adds good flavor…but it is completely optional). Place dish in oven and bake for about 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
  4. While dish is cooking, unroll 4 crescent rolls. Hungry girl’s recipe states to take the dough (and she only uses 3 crescent rolls) and combine into a ball and then roll out with a rolling pin.  I thought of something much easier.  Since the dish is to make 4 servings and the crescent rolls are already triangle shaped I decided to just place them on top of the filling in the pie plate.  I had to fold and manipulate the triangles a bit to get it to fit right but it worked out well and this way each serving gets a whole crecent roll! 
  5. Put back in the oven and cook for an additional 15 - 20 minutes or until top is golden brown. Serves 4.

1 comment:

MartinKids said...

I am so happy for you Kellie! You are my inspiration! I am also trying to eat healthier and I'm so thankful you are sharing your recipes. I plan on making your jalepeno poppers for Christmas dinner (we are deviating from tradition and making Mexican food!) and can't wait to taste them. Feliz Navidad!