Not too long ago someone told me that the only bad thing about healthy cooking is the fact that you can’t cook the yummy southern dishes that a lot of us grew up on! Well – this recipe will prove them wrong!! I have made this recipe twice now and it is so very good!! Believe me when I say the chicken tastes like it has been fried!! It is so crunchy and so full of flavor! But at about 5 points a serving – it is ok for your diet :-)
I paired it with some mashed potatoes (went simple this time – just mashed them with a little bit of buttermilk, a small dab of light margarine, salt, pepper, and a dash of garlic powder) and some fried okra (if you be good and mind your portions…it is only about 3 to 4 points a serving!).
Here is the recipe for the chicken!
- 1/2 cup fat free buttermilk (or 1/2 cup skim milk mixed with 1 tsp vinegar)
- 1/2 cup cornflakes crushed
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 lbs chicken parts-skinned (I have used both cut up chicken breasts and thighs (I deboned the thighs))
- 4 tsp canola oil
- In one bowl pour in the buttermilk. In another bowl combine the cornflakes, flour, salt and pepper (if you would like a little heat in your chicken you could either add a few drops of hot sauce to the buttermilk or a bit of cayenne pepper to the flour mixture).
- Dip chicken in buttermilk. Dredge chicken in cornflakes, flour, salt and pepper mixture, making sure chicken is coated well. Place on a baking sheet that is sprayed with cooking spray.
- Drizzle the chicken pieces with oil. Bake at 400°F for 30 minutes. Turn chicken and bake 15-20 min more. Makes 4 servings.