This recipe lets you enjoy the creamy goodness of mashed potatoes without as many calories and fat!! The trick – use fat-free buttermilk instead of cream and butter! I promise that you will not go back to your old recipe after trying these! And at 2 ww points per serving you can eat a double helping without feeling guilty!!
- 1 medium head garlic, papery skin removed and top sliced off to expose cloves
- 1 1/4 pounds all-purpose potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp fat-free buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wrap the garlic head in aluminum foil; bake until the cloves are soft, 45-60 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes; squeeze the pulp from the cloves into a small bowl.
- in a large pot, combine the potatoes, bay leaf, 1/4 tsp of the salt, and enough cold water to cover; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer and cook until the potatoes are tender, 10-15 minutes. Drain, reserving the cooking liquid; discard the bay leaf.
- with a potato masher or an electric mixer at low speed, mash the potatoes with the garlic, buttermilk, and the remaining 1/4 tsp salt; thin with the cooking liquid, if needed. Makes 4 servings. Each serving has 135 calories, 0 grams fat and 3 grams fiber and is 2 ww points!