Friday, December 11, 2009

Peppermint Brown Sugar Meringues

I was checking in on the blogs that I follow this morning and I came across a post on No Ordinary Moments (one of my favorite blogs written by a homeschooling mother).  The post was about peppermint meringues that she made.  They looked SOOO GOOD!! 

I immediately wondered if there was a way to make these “diet friendly”.  So I went over to another favorite website, Hungry Girl, and looked up a recipe for meringues.  She had a recipe for brown sugar meringues!

So I decided HEY why not combine the two recipes – and that is what I did.  So below is my recipe for peppermint brown sugar meringues.  And if I did my calculations right each cookie is about 45 calories and 1 gram of fat (that’s 1 WW point people!!!)  They are super super yummy!!  Such a fun little holiday treat!!

Ingredients

  • 4 large egg whites
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 6 oz mini chocolate chips

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with waxed or parchment paper.
  2. With an electric mixer beat the egg whites, salt and peppermint extract on high speed until soft peaks form.
  3. Continue mixing on high speed while adding 1/2 cup of the sugar.  Add the remaining sugar 1 tbsp at a time.  Beat for another 1-2 minutes, until the mixture is stiff and shiny.  Fold in chocolate chips.
  4. Drop by the spoonful onto the cookie sheets.  Flatten each cookie slightly with the back of a spoon.  Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes.  Makes about 36 cookies – 1 ww point per cookie!!

No comments: