I was checking in on the blogs that I follow this morning and I came across a post on No Ordinary Moments (one of my favorite blogs written by a homeschooling mother). The post was about peppermint meringues that she made. They looked SOOO GOOD!!
I immediately wondered if there was a way to make these “diet friendly”. So I went over to another favorite website, Hungry Girl, and looked up a recipe for meringues. She had a recipe for brown sugar meringues!
So I decided HEY why not combine the two recipes – and that is what I did. So below is my recipe for peppermint brown sugar meringues. And if I did my calculations right each cookie is about 45 calories and 1 gram of fat (that’s 1 WW point people!!!) They are super super yummy!! Such a fun little holiday treat!!
- 4 large egg whites
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 6 oz mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with waxed or parchment paper.
- With an electric mixer beat the egg whites, salt and peppermint extract on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Continue mixing on high speed while adding 1/2 cup of the sugar. Add the remaining sugar 1 tbsp at a time. Beat for another 1-2 minutes, until the mixture is stiff and shiny. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Drop by the spoonful onto the cookie sheets. Flatten each cookie slightly with the back of a spoon. Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Makes about 36 cookies – 1 ww point per cookie!!