We love us some Mexican food at our house!! And these taquitos were so good that Seth had 3 helpings!!! These were from the hungry-girl recipe for chicken taquitos.
The taquitos are about 2 points each! I heated up a can of refried beans (a serving is only 1/2 of a point!) and made some mexican rice (my recipe below – 3 points a serving)! So for the plate serving you see in the picture is 10 points!!! The red is salsa used to dip the tequitos in – which is 1/2 point for 4 tbsp!!!)
Note: The hungry girl recipe used 98% fat-free chunk white chicken canned in water. I am not a big canned chicken fan (even though it does work in a pinch sometimes). I used chicken breasts that I cooked in the microwave. My recipe is below. You can always use the canned chicken…but for the number of servings that I have altered the recipe for you will need 1 1/2 cans of the chicken.
- 12 yellow corn tortillas
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and chopped up
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup shredded fat-free cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp. dry taco seasoning mix
- Optional: red enchilada sauce, additional salsa, fat-free sour cream, for dipping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chicken and salsa, and mix thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken mixture from the fridge, and drain any excess liquid. Add cheese and taco seasoning, and mix to combine. This is your filling. Set aside.
- Prepare a baking sheet by spraying with nonstick spray, and set it aside.
- Dampen two paper towels, and place tortillas between them. Microwave for about 1 minute, until tortillas are warm and pliable.
- Take one tortilla (keep the rest between the paper towels), spray both sides lightly with nonstick spray, and lay it flat on a clean dry surface. Spoon about 2 heaping tbsp. of filling onto the tortilla. Spread it evenly across the entire surface, and roll tortilla up tightly, so that you have a cigar-shaped tube. Secure with toothpicks and place seam-side down on the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.
- Bake for 14 - 16 minutes, until crispy. Allow taquitos to cool for 5 minutes. If you like, dunk in enchilada sauce, salsa, or sour cream! Makes 4 servings of 3 tequitos (6 ww points per serving)
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup salsa
- Place all ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over med high heat.
- Once the water is boiling put lid on saucepan and decrease heat. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Add salt to taste. Serves 4. 3 ww points per serving.