Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Frito Chili Cheese Wrap

Sonic came up with the most wonderful idea a while back – take the yummy comfort junk food – frito pie – and wrap it up in a tortilla – YUM!!  But when you find out that one of those wraps is 674 calories and 38.5 grams of fat (16 ww points) you realize that you might as well just eat a tub of lard!!!

But there is no reason to be depressed!!!  There is a healthy alternative that will give you all of the flavor of Sonic’s wrap but with only a fraction of the calories and fat (in fact one of these buritos is only about 5 ww points)!!  I once again found this at hungry-girl.com!!!  Below is the recipe that I made (I used a couple of her alternatives due to not being able to find items in the store.)

NOTE:  I discovered something about chili when making this recipe!! I bought the Hormel 98% fat free turkey chili for this recipe!  It is suprisingly very good!!  I seriously could not tell the difference between it and “normal” chili!  I was curious how healthy this could be since it did taste so good.  I had a can of Wolf Brand meat chili and I thought I would compare the nutritional value between the two.  1 serving of the Wolf Brand chili has an astounding 400 calories and 27 grams of fat and is 9 ww points!!!  The turkey chili, on the other hand, has 210 calories and only 3 grams of fat and is only 3 ww points!!  Friends – I have found a new chili!  I don’t think I will ever eat that other chili again!

Ingredients:

  • 1/3 cup low-fat turkey or veggie chili (I used Hormel’s 98% fat free turkey chili)
  • 1 low carb, high fiber large burito size tortilla (I used the whole wheat tortillas from Target – aim for a tortilla with calorie count between 80 and 110 calories per serving)
  • 2 tbsp. shredded fat-free cheddar cheese
  • 10 Fritos original corn chips (or 1/2 package of Fritos 100 calorie pack original corn chips)
  • Optional: 2 tbsp. diced onion

Directions:

  1. Place chili in a microwave-safe bowl, cover, and heat for 45 - 60 seconds, until hot. Set aside.
  2. Lay tortilla flat on a microwave-safe plate, and warm in the microwave for about 10 seconds. Spoon chili down the center of the tortilla. Cover the chili with cheese, and then top with Fritos. If you like, sprinkle with onion.
  3. Wrap tortilla up like a burrito, folding the sides in first, and then rolling it up from the bottom. (Or serve it wrap-style, with one end left open.) Place burrito seam-side down on the plate, and microwave for 30 seconds.

This meal seriously made me so happy!!  I felt like I was having a junk food meal but did not need to feel any guilt for eating it!!  You have got to try it!

No comments: