I am really becoming a lover of ground turkey! It cooks up very nice and it has a good flavor (make sure when you are shopping for ground turkey though that you make sure you buy the LEAN ground turkey…if you are not careful you can get ground turkey that has just as much fat as ground beef…then you are not doing yourself any good!)
I got this recipe from my Weight Watchers cookbook! It was very good!!! There was so much flavor in this meatloaf! And at 4 points a serving you can’t beat it!! I paired it with Green Giant Garden Vegetable Medley. People if you haven’t discovered these easy good sides you really need to give them a try. This particular one was only 70 calories, 0.5 grams of fat, and 1 gram of fiber per serving (that is only 1 WW point!!). They have many different varieties…we have tried several…and they are full of flavor and very simple to prepare. All you do is take the bag out of the freezer and put it in the microwave for 8 minutes!!
So this entire meal was only 5 points!! OMG – you could have 2 pieces of meatloaf and still have a meal under 10 points!
Here is the recipe for the meatloaf:
Makes 8 Servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 ¼ lbs ground skinless turkey
- 4 slices whole-wheat bread, made into fine crumbs
- ½ cup fat-free milk
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crumbled
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350o F; spray an 8x5” loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. In a small non-stick skillet, heat the oil. Sauté the onion until tender, 4-5 minutes.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the onion, turkey, bread crumbs, milk, egg white, ketchup, cheese, garlic powder, basil, thyme and pepper; blend well. Shape into a loaf and transfer to the pan. Bake until browned and cooked through, 50-60 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.