Monday, November 16, 2009

Breakfast Crepes

IMG_6324

I am trying to start a Saturday tradition of cooking breakfast for my family.  Yes I know that I should be doing this every day but with my husband’s varying work schedule and the way our mornings run it is just not working yet…I would like to eventually get to that point…but for right now I am at least trying to do Saturday breakfasts!

(note: during the week the boys usually enjoy cereal or oatmeal, sometimes muffins and fruit.  Lately I have been on a kick for wheat toast with a little bit of fruit preserves (if you stick to the serving size the calories actually are not that bad!!).  I also love Quaker’s high fiber oatmeal!)

This last Saturday morning I decided to try my first stab at crepes!  I found a low fat , low calorie, low point recipe that I thought looked yummy!  After getting past the first two crepes falling apart on me the recipe was a yummy success!! 

here is the recipe -

Crepes

1 cup flour

1 1/2 cups 1% milk

2 large egg whites

1 whole egg

1 tsp oil

Butter flavored spray

Powdered sugar

In a medium bowl whisk flour, milk, eggs and oil until smooth using a wire whisk. Heat a large nonstick pan on medium=low to medium flame. When hot, spray with buttered flavored spray to coat bottom of skillet. Pour about 1/3 cup crepe mixture into pan, swirling pan slightly to make crepe thin and smooth. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until bottom of crepe is light golden brown. Flip (crepe will be easy to flip if ready); cook for about a minute longer or until light golden brown. Repeat with remaining buttered flavored spray and crepe mixture.  Makes 10 to 12 crepes.

There are many ways you can serve the crepes.  Since I was serving them for breakfast I put a little bit of fat free cream cheese, a dab of raspberry preserves and blueberries in the center and folded each edge over then sprinkled with powdered sugar.  If you would like more of a dessert crepe you could put fresh berries and fat free whipped cream in the center.

Your WW points are about 2 points per crepe!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

For Their Future said...

ooo! Yummy!
The first (and only) crepes I have made so far, are asparagus crepes! They are so good for breakfast!
I got the recipe from Taste of Home!