Thursday, November 19, 2009

Homemade Pop Tarts

(sorry for no picture…my picture didn’t turn out due to my son messing with my camera settings and me not realizing it!!  But TRUST ME I will be making these again so I will get a picture posted soon!)

I promise you these belong on a healthy recipe blog!!  But you would never know that from their taste!!

A friend of mine on Facebook posted a picture of homemade pop tarts that she made and my mouth instantly started watering! My first thought was there was no way these could be healthy!  Then I stopped and though – WHY NOT!!!

So I started doing some research and with the help of several different recipes online I came up with my own recipe for Diet Friendly Homemade Pop Tarts!!!  At 3.5 points each you can afford to eat two  (and for those of you who don’t know that’s about 1/2 the points of one of Kellog’s pop tarts)!!

Here’s the recipe!

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp cold unsalted butter, diced
  • 2 tbsp cold vegetable shortening
  • 1 tsp cider vinegar
  • 3-3 1/2 tbsp ice water
  • your favorite fruit jam
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • fat free milk

Instructions:

  1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt.  With a pastry blender or two knives cut the butter and shortening into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles course crumbs.  Stir in the vinegar and then the water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough begins to form.  Press the dough together and shape into a disk.  Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
  2. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
  3. Take the dough out of the fridge and roll out to a rectangle that would be the thickness you would use for a pie.
  4. Cut the dough into 16 rectangles.  On 8 of the rectangles spread 1 tsp of jam in the center of the rectangle and then top with one of the other 8 rectangles. Crimp edges.
  5. Bake the pop tarts until slightly brown, about 12-15 minutes.
  6. If you would like to make a glaze mix 1/4 cup powdered sugar with enough fat free milk to thin.   Once the pop tart has cooled drizzle with glaze.
  7. These will keep in the fridge for up to a week or in the freezer for 3 to 4 months.
  8. To toast: 2 minutes if refrigerated or 4 minutes if frozen.

1 comment:

For Their Future said...

Oooo! This is interesting!
I hope you can post a picture the next time you make some!
Thanks!