Friday, November 13, 2009

Cheddar Turkey Burgers with Oven Fries

IMG_1453

I have been thinking about starting this blog for a while now.  I am having more and more people ask me for recipes of foods I cook, especially since I started my diet.  When I saw how delicious these burgers looked and how crispy these fries really were coming out of the oven I instantly thought to take a picture of it and then take the time today to set up the blog!

I hope that you enjoy these recipes. 

Cheddar Turkey Burgers

*This was adapted from the WW Monterey Jack Turkey burgers.  I didn’t have any monterey jack cheese but found it works well with cheddar cheese as well!

Ingredients:

1 lb ground turkey breast
1 med chopped onion
1 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs ketchup
1/4 tsp each of black pepper and garlic powder
1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese                                                                 4 strips of turkey bacon

Mix all that up and make into 4 patties.  Grill on tabletop grill 6 to 7 minutes on each side until turkey is fully cooked.  You can put the bacon strips on the grill when you turn the burgers or cook them in the microwave.

I served these on the Orowheat Sandwich Thins (these are a new favorite in our house!  The entire bun is only 100 calories and is super yummy and high fiber which is a Weight Watchers PLUS!!

Since I changed the recipe from monterey jack cheese to cheddar cheese I can’t give the nutritional information.  If monterey jack cheese is used for the recipe the WW points is 3 points per patty.  With the cheddar cheese as far as I know you are about at the same points.   A burger like we had on the sandwich thin with 1 strip of bacon, tomato slice and a tad of light mayo was about 6 points.

Oven “Fries” – WW

Recipe

Ingredients

1 1/4 lbs baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch strips

1/2 teaspoon sugar    

4 teaspoons oil   

1 teaspoon paprika             

3/4 teaspoon salt

Directions

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a non-stick baking sheet w/ non-stick cooking spray.

In a lg. bowl, combine potatoes, 1/4 teaspoons of the salt and all of sugar w/ cold water to cover. Soak 15 min, drain and blot dry.

In another lg. bowl, toss potatoes w/ oil and paprika. Place in a single layer on the baking sheet.

Bake, turning potatoes over as they brown, until cooked through and crisp. (Could take anywhere from 25-45 min., depending on how you cut your potatoes and your oven. My fries only took about 25 minute I checked on my potatoes and turned them about every 5 minute or so. You will see them browning and hear them sizzling.) Sprinkle w/ the remaining 1/2 teaspoons of salt.

    Per serving (1/4 of potatoes): 159 Cal, 5 g Fat, 1 g Sat Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 0 mg Chol, 442 mg Sod, 28 g Carb, 3 g Fib, 2 g Prot, 7 mg Calc.  WW Points – 3  (taken from the New Complete Weight Watchers Cookbook)

    If you have any comments on these recipes or the blog in general please feel free to leave a comment.

    No comments: