Sonic and Jack in the Box – eat your heart out!! Due to the fact that 4 of Sonic’s Cheddar Peppers are 330 calories and 17 grams of fat and 5 of these poppers are a little over 100 calories and only 1 gram of fat – I think I will choose these!! They are really good!! :-)
- 10 whole, fresh jalapenos
- 1/2 cup fat-free cream cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Fiber One cereal
- 1/2 cup Egg Beaters, Original
- Optional: salt, pepper and/or garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Halve the jalapenos lengthwise, and remove the seeds, stems, and membranes (wear gloves if you can! I did not and I have blisters on my fingers!!).
- Wash halves and dry them very well; set aside.
- Next, stir to combine cream cheese and cheese shreds. If desired, season cheese mixture with salt, pepper, and/or garlic powder.
- Using a blender, grind Fiber One to a breadcrumb-like consistency. If you like, season crumbs with salt, pepper, and/or garlic powder.
- Place crumbs in one small dish and Egg Beaters in another.
- Stuff each pepper half with cheese mixture. Next, carefully coat both sides of each pepper half with Egg Beaters, and then with Fiber One crumbs.
- Place peppers on a baking pan sprayed with nonstick spray, and place in oven. Cook for 25 minutes (for very spicy poppers) to 30 minutes (medium-hot poppers). Makes 20 poppers.