I am a LOVER of quiche, but my husband isn’t so much! But, he is at a dinner meeting tonight! :-) Lucky for me!! I found a new quiche recipe to try!! I was originally going to do a spinach quiche (my favorite) but realized I had no spinach :-( but I found this one! I made some adjustments (the recipe below has my adjustments!) It was AMAZING!!! The boys ate it up as well!
And the crust was probably one of the best crusts I have had!! It is the basic pie crust from my weight watchers cookbook and it can be used for practically any pie. It is so easy to prepare…from now on no more store bought pie crusts for me!!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp cold unsalted butter, diced
- 2 tbsp cold vegetable shortening
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 3-3 1/2 tbsp ice water
For quiche filling:
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup red onions, chopped
- 3/4 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1 cups low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup original egg beaters
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp table salt, or more to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, or more to taste
- 10 oz frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and well-drained
To make Crust:
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt. With a pastry blender or two knives cut the butter and shortening into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles course crumbs. Stir in the vinegar and then the water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough begins to form. Press the dough together and shape into a disk. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- On a floured surface roll out the dough to a 12-13 inch circle; fit into a 9 inch pie pan, pressing to fit and crimping the edges to form a rim. Freeze 20 minutes. Prick the bottom with a fork.
While crust is in the freezer prepare the filling.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until soft, about 3 minutes. Transfer onion to a large bowl and add cottage cheese, 1/4 cup of the parmesan cheese, cheddar cheese, egg beaters, mustard, oregano, salt and pepper; mix well and fold in broccoli. Spoon mixture into prepared crust and level surface with a wooden spoon; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake until a knife inserted near center comes out clean, about 35 to 40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing into 8 pieces. Yields 1 piece per serving, 5 points per serving!!
And since I was sooo good on my points today when Daniel comes home tonight, after the kids go to bed we get to enjoy a dessert!
This ice cream is has 120 calories, 5 grams of fat, and 2 grams of fiber in every 1/2 cup serving. That means it is only 2 points per serving!!! You can enjoy your ice cream without ruining your diet!! So go ahead! Go treat yourself!!